Free Smart Phone & Subsidized Data Plan
TELUS Mobility for Good Program
Do you receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) and are you in need of a Smart Phone? You should look into TELUS’ Mobility for Good for Seniors program.
This program provides eligible low-income seniors receiving income assistance with access to a free smart phone and a subsidized data plan.
Seniors receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) will be eligible for a:
- A free smartphone
- A $25/month plan that includes unlimited nationwide talk and text and 3GB of data
- Contract-free; seniors can cancel at any time without incurring additional fees
- Send in your Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- TELUS will confirm eligibility and provide a verification code
- Activate your offer online or through the TELUS call center
For more details on the program, and how to apply, visit:
BC Recovery Benefit
The BC Recovery Benefit is a one-time, tax-free payment of up to $1,000 for eligible families and single parents and up to $500 for eligible individuals. Benefit eligibility is based on net income from your 2019 tax return. The amount you’re eligible for will be automatically calculated based on your income when you apply. You must apply to receive the benefit.
Generally, the benefit is available to people:
- Residing in British Columbia on December 18, 2020
- Who are at least 19 years old on December 18, 2020
- Who filed a 2019 Canadian personal income tax return
- Who have a valid social insurance number, individual tax number or temporary tax number
What you will need to apply:
- Net income from your 2019 tax return
- Social insurance number
- Driver’s licence number (if you have one)
- Direct deposit information (available through your bank or credit union)
Online applications open December 18, 2020. Support will be available by phone starting December 21, 2020 at 1-833-882-0020.
For more information on the BC Recovery Benefit and how to apply, please visit:
CanAge Holiday Cheer Giveaway
Brightside is excited to share CanAge’s Holiday Cheer Giveaway.
The holidays are a time of togetherness, and this year is no different. Even though COVID-19 has changed the way we stay connected, social distancing doesn’t have to mean social isolation!
CanAge and HelpAge Canada have teamed up to bring you 23 gifts — 1 for each day between Dec 10 and Jan 1 — that you can use to share the holidays with your loved ones, no matter where you are. Each day, CanAge will post a new gift online, which you can access on the website. There you’ll find activity ideas, contests, virtual experiences, and other giveaways that you can use to make your holidays a little brighter.
Visit CanAge online and find out more about this program.
Brightside Team Recipe Feature
What are the holidays if not a time for some tasty things! Even though we may not be able to share a meal with our extended families or our friends, there’s nothing that says you can’t make a treat for you or your immediate household!
For this special holiday edition of the COVID-19 Brief, we’re bringing you a super simple and classic confection – the homemade peppermint patty. There are many different takes on this holiday favourite – some even involve coating them in chocolate – but here we’re sharing the original. We hope you enjoy!
Recipe: No-Bake Christmas Peppermint Patties
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided (more, if needed for consistency)
- 1 Tbsp peppermint extract (or as desired)
- Christmas-red food coloring gel or paste
- Leaf-green food coloring gel or paste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Stir together the butter and corn syrup together in a small bowl. Add 2 cups powdered sugar and peppermint extract, 1/2 teaspoon at a time until you reach desired flavor. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in an additional cup of powdered sugar.
- Turn bowl onto a cutting board sprinkled with another half a cup of powdered sugar. Knead the mixture until sugar is absorbed and is completely smooth, adding additional powdered sugar if needed.
- Divide dough into three portions. Leave one portion white, and set aside. Tint one portion red with the red food gel and one portion green, and knead separately (about 5 minutes or so) until color is consistent. FOR DYING – Start with a little amount of the food coloring gel at first, and add more after kneading if you want more color.
- Pinch off pieces and shape into 3/4-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Flatten gently with a fork.
- Let candies stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 1 day. Store in an airtight container.