Brightside Community Homes Foundation
#300 – 905 West Pender Street,
Vancouver, B.C.
V6C 1L6

P: (604) 684 3515
F: (604) 684 3677


These frequently asked questions (FAQ) provide answers to some common applicant and resident questions.


Is smoking permitted?


Are pets allowed?


Why do I need to have tenant insurance before I move in?

You need insurance to protect yourself in case you are found responsible for damage that occurs to another unit and also to protect your own belongings in case of an emergency.

Can I transfer to another building or unit after I move in?

We try to match applicants to units that suit them best and, due to high demand, can only consider transfer requests if they are caused by medical reasons, under-housing or over-housing.

Do I need an appointment to apply for housing?

No. Applicants can come to the Brightside office during business hours or download the application form online and submit it with the required documentation by mail, fax or in-person.

Do I need to bring all the documents listed in the application?

You just need to submit all the documentation that applies to you.

Can I apply for a one-bedroom if I am single person who is willing to pay the price difference?

Yes; however, couples are given priority for one-bedroom suites.

Can I apply for a specific building?

Yes; however, we recommend submitting a general application that considers all buildings to decrease waiting time.

How long is the waitlist?

** NOTE: The waitlist is currently closed. Read more here. **

The waitlist changes depending on demand, as well as the area and suite type.

Typically, more studio suites are available, whereas two- and three-bedroom units become available least often. Ground-level units are also in high demand. Properties subsidized by BC Housing have the longest waitlists overall.

However, due to the size of our portfolio, suites do turnover. Submitting an application directly to Brightside will allow us to contact you as soon as the suite of your preference becomes available.

Are there any vacancies?

** NOTE: The waitlist is currently closed. Read more here. **

Availability is always changing, so please call us to check. We will call you once you are next on the waitlist and a unit has become available; however, feel free to call the office to check in on your application. Please note that applications stay active for 6 months. You will need to call and refresh your application every 6 months.

How do I apply?

** NOTE: The waitlist is currently closed. Read more here. **

You can contact the Brightside head office or apply online.


Is there someone I can contact if I struggle to live independently or start to recognize a need for additional resources?

Yes. If you find yourself beginning to struggle with living independently, please contact our Community Development Coordinator by phone at (604) 684 3515 ext. 238 or by email at

How can I get a parking spot?

Please contact our office to find out about availability and pricing.

Who can I contact to help me gather documents for my annual income review?

Please contact the office for any questions or contact Seniors 411 for assistance in gathering, accessing or filling out documentation.

What to do if I have problems with my neighbour?

Try to talk to your neighbour first. People often don’t realize and don’t mean to disturb their neighbours. If issues cannot be resolved, please complete and submit a written complaint using the appropriate complaint form.


All complaints must be in writing and must contain details including time, date and nature of the incident. Verbal and anonymous complaints cannot be accepted. All residents have the right to dispute complaints.

What to do if I am concerned about my neighbour’s wellbeing?

Call the VPD non-emergency line at (604) 717 3321 and request a safety check. Brightside employees are not authorized to conduct safety checks and cannot provide access to third parties without tenant consent.

However, we can provide access based on the police request.

In case of an emergency, always call 911.

What do I do in case of emergency?

In case of a medical emergency, fire or police incident, please call 911 immediately.

If your emergency is related to property damage due to a leak, flood, lack of heat, lack of hot water, inoperable elevators or other urgent matters, please call the Brightside office during regular office hours or the after-hours call center at (778) 731-8968.

How do I report a maintenance concern?

Please complete a Tenant Request for Repairs form and place it in the manager’s box at your building. They are picked up twice a week and prioritized based on urgency.


How is Brightside responding to COVID-19?

Our priority is the health, safety, and well-being of our residents and staff.


We urge all residents to take the necessary precautions to stay well and to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and have been sharing direction provided by the Provincial Health Officer


We have increased cleaning and sanitizing common areas across our 26 properties.


We have also taken direct steps to help our residents practice social/physical distancing including reducing our maintenance services to emergency repairs only and halting any booking requests for amenity rooms.

What is Brightside doing to keep residents informed?

We will continue to keep residents updated regularly through our website mail drops to residents, and posters in building lobbies.


We will also provide information about programs and resources that may be available to our residents through partners or other organizations.


We thank all of our residents and partners for their cooperation in protecting our communities.

Brightside Mailing List Sign-Up

Sign up for updates on Brightside's new projects and redevelopments. *Brightside does not share your email and you can unsubscribe at any time.