Brightside Community Homes Foundation
#300 – 905 West Pender Street,
Vancouver, B.C.
V6C 1L6

P: (604) 684 3515
F: (604) 684 3677

BC Housing’s COVID-19 Rent Relief Plan

We know that the COVID-19 pandemic has been a cause of financial hardship for many residents in the Brightside community, and we are doing everything we can to ensure you feel your housing is secure. Rent relief options may take different forms depending on which building you live in.

On April 17, we provided an FAQ on our Rent Relief Plan that was applicable to residents in Brightside owned and operated buildings. In this week’s COVID-19 Brief, we are providing an FAQ on rent relief options available to residents living in buildings that have an operating agreement with BC Housing.

If you have an agreement with BC Housing (not just a BC Housing number) – i.e. your Income Review documents have BC Housing logos on them – this FAQ will also apply to you.

The following buildings are under operating agreements with BC Housing; as such, rent calculation and support options are administered directly through BC Housing.

Bridgeview Place 238 Davie St. Lions View I 2950 Euclid Ave.
Coleopy Park 5748/88 Rupert St. Lions View II 2980 Euclid Ave.
Collingwood Tower 5657 Harold St. Wilson Heights Manor 1602 E. 41st Ave.
First Lutheran Court 5709 Wales St. Muir Manor 2588 Nanaimo St.

Rents in the following buildings are adjusted directly by Brightside Community Homes Foundation. If you live in one of the following buildings, we recommend you refer to the Brightside Rent Relief Plan FAQ distributed on April 17th in COVID-19 Brief #04 to best understand how Brightside’s Rent Relief Plan applies to you.

Alice Saunders 2924 Venables St. Londonderry 5550 Yew St.
Arbutus Court 2085 W. 5th Ave. Loyal Orange 1425 E. 12th Ave.
Burrard Manor 2330 Balsam St MacLeod Manor 8725 French St.
Edward Byers 1451 E. 12th Ave Magnolo Manor 2675 Alder St.
Florence Manor 1325 Burnaby St Moreland Kennedy 2495 W. 3rd Ave.
Gordon Fahrni 1630 Barclay St. Mount Pleasant 325 E. 6th Ave
Harwood Manor 1222 Harwood St Soroptomist Lions 1444 E. 13th Ave.
Kings Daughters 1400 E. 11th Ave. Wallace Wilson 1620 E. 6th Ave.
Lions View III 2975 Horley St. Glynn Manor 520 W. 7th Ave.

If you have questions about how Brightside’s Rent Relief Plan applies to you, please contact Brightside by email at or by leaving a voicemail at 604-684-3515. Note that call volumes are exceptionally high at the moment, and we are responding to residents’ inquiries as soon as possible in the order that they are received.

FAQ – BC Housing Rent Relief Plan

I received a notice about filling out my BC Housing application. Do I still have to do this?

Yes. All residents that received a BC Housing application for an annual review are required to complete the form and submit with full documentation. This is a BC Housing requirement that mandates all residents verify their eligibility to continue residency in a BC Housing building.

What documentation is required?

All requested and relevant documents will still be required in full. This includes your 2019 T1 General and 2019 Notice of Assessment.

What do I do if I haven’t filed my 2019 taxes yet?

We understand that not everyone will have their taxes done, as many of the tax clinics are currently closed. If possible, we encourage you to please file your taxes online. If you have difficulty filing online, please send along your 2018 tax documents for now; you can send your 2019 documents as soon as they are available. Your file will not be complete until we receive all documents, which could affect your subsidy, so it is important to make sure you forward these documents along to Income Review as soon as you can. As Federal taxes are still due by June 1st, we expect tax clinics to start opening by appointment soon. As we hear about any clinics opening, we will send along that information in one of our Briefs.

I’ve recently lost my job. Would I be eligible for a rent recalculation?

If you can provide a Record of Employment, we will process a 3-month interim rent review/recalculation. These reviews and subsequent rent adjustments are valid as of the month following the request. Please send your request and Record of Employment to before the 23rd of the month in order to be calculated and processed for the following month. We cannot guarantee rent recalculation requests submitted after the 23rd will be processed in time to be effective for the following month.

What will my new rent rate be?

This will depend on your household composition, any additional income you receive, as well as your current assets. If you have not recently submitted annual income review documents, we will review the information provided during your last annual income review to calculate your assets.

My household includes at least one other individual who is working and/or are receiving CERB. Are we eligible for a rent recalculation?

Yes. We can still perform a rent recalculation; however, we will require six (6) recent paystubs from the working individual. We cannot guarantee a reduction in your rent rate. Please note: You are responsible for applying for the CERB subsidy if you meet eligibility requirements. Brightside staff can not apply on your behalf.

I am on CPP/OAS/PWD/IA. Am I eligible for a rent recalculation?

No. You are not eligible for a rent recalculation. Your rent will remain at the flat rent rate.

How do I submit my documents to Brightside?

Please email them to, mail them into the office, or drop them off in an envelope and deposit into the drop box located in the lobby of your building. Documents are collected every Tuesday and Friday.

Back to news

Brightside Mailing List Sign-Up

Sign up for updates on Brightside's new projects and redevelopments. *Brightside does not share your email and you can unsubscribe at any time.