Tax Clinics & Resources
Tax time is right around the corner, but it doesn’t have to be a stressful time for those who need some advice or help filling out tax forms. There are a number of free tax clinics and information resources available to seniors and to the public.
Remote Income Tax Clinic
Call 604-684-8171 to make appointment
Available Monday through Thursday: 10:00am – 1:30pm until April 29, 2021
Located at 333 Terminal Avenue, Vancouver
Community Tax Clinics:
- The Kettle Society
- The Carnegie Community Centre
- REACH Multicultural Family Centre
- Britannia Community Centre
File My Return (Canada Revenue Agency):
- File My Return lets eligible Canadians with low or fixed income, whose tax situations remain unchanged from year-to-year, auto-file their 2020 income tax and benefit return through a dedicated, automated phone service. All that is required is for you to provide some personal information and answer a series of short questions over the phone.
- If you have questions about the File my Return service can call the CRA’s individual tax enquiries line at 1-800-959-8281.
- More info online: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/file-my-return.html
Information on other online government free tax clinics:https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/community-volunteer-income-tax-program/need-a-hand-complete-your-tax-return.html
Choose to Move at Home Program
Choose to Move at Home is a free 12-week program that provides seniors over the age of 65 with the motivation and support they may need to become more active.
With Choose to Move at Home, participants work one-on-one with a trained activity coach to create a personal physical activity plan that meets your health and fitness goals. When things get tough, you will have the support you need from your coach. You also get to join a group of other Choose to Movers to share your successes and challenges, learn new ways to live healthy, and make new friends.
Why join the Choose to Move Program?
- Get motivated and stay motivated
- Feel more energetic
- Get support to be more physically active
- Take steps towards your fitness and health goals
- Choose activities that you like
- Learn how to fit activities into your daily life
- Stay accountable to your plan
- Meet new friends and have fun
The Choose to Move at Home program is offered both online and over-the-phone to keep you safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Register for Choose to Move at Home:
For Brightside residents in the West End:
West End Seniors Network (WESN)
604-669-5051 ext. 9
For Brightside residents in all other buildings/neighbourhoods:
Seniors Services Society of BC
To learn more and to watch a short video about the Choose to Move at Home program, visit Brightside’s Choose to Move at Home web page:
BC Recovery Benefit
The BC Recovery Benefit is a one-time, tax-free payment of up to $1,000 for eligible families and single parents and up to $500 for eligible individuals. Benefit eligibility is based on net income from your 2019 tax return. The amount you’re eligible for will be automatically calculated based on your income when you apply. You must apply to receive the benefit.
Generally, the benefit is available to people who:
- Reside in British Columbia on December 18, 2020
- Are at least 19 years old on December 18, 2020
- Filed a 2019 Canadian personal income tax return
- Have a valid social insurance number, individual tax number or temporary tax number
What you will need to apply:
- Net income from your 2019 tax return
- Social insurance number
- Driver’s licence number (if you have one)
- Direct deposit information (available through your bank or credit union)
Support is available by phone Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 5:00 pm at 1-833-882-0020. Translation services are also available by phone.
– DEADLINE to apply is June 30, 2021 –
Applying online takes only about 15 minutes and is the fastest way to receive payment. For more information on the BC Recovery Benefit and how to apply, please visit:
Brightside Team Recipe Feature
Mary McKay, Brightside’s Director of People & Administration Services, takes joy in sharing her collection of recipes and today brings us a classic broccoli salad. Best prepared in advance, this colourful and nutritious bowlful makes a great side for dinner or lunchtime meal to pack for the next day.
Recipe: Classic Broccoli Salad
Ingredients – Salad:
- 8 cups broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup radishes, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Optional add-in: 1/4 cup slivered almonds or diced pine nuts
- Optional add-in: 1/2 cup bacon bits (real or vegan)
Ingredients – Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar (or just add another tbsp of white vinegar)
- Optional add-in: 1-2 tablespoons of poppy seeds or black chia seeds
- Wash and cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces and drain. Be sure to dry the broccoli well so it doesn’t water down the dressing.
- Add all the dry (salad) ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients per the recipe above.
- Add the prepared dressing to the large bowl of salad ingredients. Refrigerate about one hour. This gives the broccoli a chance to soak in some of the dressing, resulting in an even more flavorful salad!
- If you have extra veggies you need to use up, you can easily add them to this dish. Diced zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, or peppers can make great additions!
- When ready, grab a fork and enjoy!